significance of "bubba-licious" ... well, my nieces and nephews affectionately call me "bubba" (real flattering, eh?)... and "licious"... well, i just am, what can i say?!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Como Say What?!

An article I wrote for my brother's prayer letter...

I recently returned from Costa Rica, where I had the opportunity to visit J, Karen and Jeffrey. I am writing to testify that they really are learning and not just enjoying the good life of the tropics! I enjoyed seeing them in their learning environment, and was impressed with how the Spanish vocabulary spews from their lips... even little Jeffrey is speaking and understanding Spanish! While there, J asked me what was the one thing that stuck out the most in being in a different culture. I didn't even have to think about it... not being able to communicate with people was difficult for me!

I now chuckle at the notion that I thought I would be able to speak Spanish when I arrived in Costa Rica. After all, I took three years of Spanish in high school and I still remembered important phrases such as, "Donde estas el bano?" However, I wasn't even out of the airport before I realized I would not be putting my language "skills" to use any time soon. I was reminded how essential language is in building relationships with people, and how becoming fluent in a language is even more essential in order for missionaries to have an effective ministry with nationals.

One of J & Karen's prayers for their ministry is taken from Colossians 4:3-4, "And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should." This verse has become more real to me since visiting J & Karen in Costa Rica. Not only is it our desire as Christians to proclaim Christ clearly for others to understand, but how much more so for missionaries who are taking the gospel of the kingdom to the whole world as a testimony to all nations (Matthew 24:14).

As J & Karen finish their last semester of language school, let us lift them up in prayer... may they not only be able to proclaim Christ boldly, but with clarity as well. To God be the glory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home