significance of "bubba-licious" ... well, my nieces and nephews affectionately call me "bubba" (real flattering, eh?)... and "licious"... well, i just am, what can i say?!

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The LORD sets prisoners free

My church just finished its week-long missions conference and once again, we had an excellent group of missionaries who came to share with us. Home runs all around! One of the missionaries, Joan Ewan, shared an amazing story of the transforming grace of Jesus Christ! This is what Christ did for all of us-- we were all prisoners at one time, and through the work on the cross, He has set us free! Are you free?

One Stupid Decision

"I deserved punishment for what I did," says Laura. "I felt too guilty to be forgiven. In a moment, one stupid decision cost me my life, my dreams, and my future."

Laura had swallowed seventy plastic capsules filled with pure cocaine in order to smuggle them from Ecuador to Poland. But before she boarded a plane, Laura became violently ill and gratefully went with police to a hospital. For nearly a week, residue of the dangerous narcotic lingered in her system.

As a child in Poland, Laura was taught solid moral principles based on the Catholic faith. While a university student, she traveled to Quito, Ecuador, to study Spanish at the suggestion of her boyfriend. It was he who convinced Laura to smuggle the drugs. "I was ready to break the law and transport drugs, even inside my stomach, for him."

It came as a great shock to her family that Laura was guilty of such a crime. She grieved for them and for her own loss when she received an eight-year sentence at El Inca Women's Prison, where Alliance missionary Joan Ewan has a ministry to inmates.

"Life for inmates at El Inca is hard," says Joan. "They are not afforded any conveniences and 'earn' income to survive through the sale of drugs or personal belongings." There are 630 women and 275 children in the 600- capacity facility.

Laura began attending Joan's Bible studies. "The Holy Spirit was working in me," Laura says, "and gradually, I understood that I am forgiven and God has a purpose for me. Suddenly, [learning about Him] became special and exciting."

Prison administrators recognized the positive example that Laura was setting and recommended parole. Because of Joan's appeal on her behalf, Laura was approved for parole Monday through Thursday with adult supervision but must return to jail Friday through Sunday.

Laura has become a part of the Ewan family and cherishes her time with Joan and and her husband, Don. Laura is a teacher's aide at Alliance Academy International, working to get her degree in biblical education. She also is taking a course in tourism administration but still has three years of her sentence to complete.

In spite of the obstacles of prison life, Laura says she's content. "I realize that happiness is what we're all looking for," she says. "Some look for it in material possessions, some in drugs or the perfect guy. Then I met Jesus, the only perfect Man, who gave me much more than happiness. He gave me joy and peace."

"The LORD sets prisoners free" (Psalm 146:7b).

Laura is just one of many prisoners at El Inca Women's Prison in Ecuador that have given their hearts to Christ and have experienced tremendous change in their lives as a result. Let's join together and pray that they will be free from the bondage and the lies that satan is trying to connive them of, and may they experience freedom in Christ. Living the call together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home